Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Respect


Today is World Environment Day. I decided to do something good about the environment so I took the train to work instead of my car. I reached the station and went to get a ticket. While standing in line to buy one, another guy came in and cut the line in front of me. I politely pointed out there is a queue.

Apparently the guy didn't like what I said. He turned around, cursed and swore at me, and decided I was stupid because I was "half standing in the line". To be honest I still don't understand what that expression is. However, my deduction is he meant that I was leaving a little space between myself and the guy in front of me in the line. Seems that I have to be sticking to his butt in order to be part of a line that our insulting friend would accept.

The funny thing is he actually got the ticket before me, and not a single person said a word. No one was bothered that they were all disrespected and not just me. The moment he ignored their rights and decided he should get a ticket before them - even though it's their turn - he effectively disrespected them.


All I ask for is respect.

To respect and be respected. However, it seems that this is asking too much.

I want my privacy respected, my rights respected, my morals respected and most importantly I want my humanity respected. Am I asking too much when I ask for respect?

Why does it feel like such a natural thing inside of me when everywhere I look it seems so alien?

I don't want to feel disrespected every time I step out of my house. It sometimes gets so frustrating that I feel like I just don't want to go out anymore.

I will not succumb to the temptation to give in.

I refuse disrespect and embrace respect. Respect for every single thing in the world.

I choose it all throughout my life and will fight for it. I know I'm not alone, there are others out there like me and we will get through together.

I will respect until I am respected; either in this life or in another.

At least this way I will die with dignity.

But who am I kidding? Of all people, I know pretty well that there is no dignity in death.

5 comments:

  1. Right on bro!

    Respect yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joke...
    you talk about respect???
    look, what you give you get back so start respecting us first.
    we the older, wiser and smarter collegues of yours.
    now for real, if you are looking for respect in Egypt then you are kidding your self, everyone is trying to make fun of the people around thinking that this way they might gain their lost self-respect.
    but dont give up one day things will change.
    see u around.
    -Silly Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem is not 'making fun of others'

    When someone makes fun of you it's a good way of actually learning your faults. But making fun of someone is different from respecting. You can make fun of something someone does while you still respect that person greatly.

    In fact, I believe that the ability to laugh at yourself is the peak of maturity.

    The problem is when someone disrespects your rights, your beliefs etc.

    That is what is, imo, unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :)

    I came accross your today, and I liked the post. What I like even more, is what is behind the post :)

    You are absolutely right - respect is what holds balance between all the different personalities, views and ways of life.

    It is very nice to hear you did not stoop to his level :)

    As for 'no dignity in death', death is merely the door :) One's dignity is definately curency for what lies on the other side of that door :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, why do you say that you "of all people" know that there is no dignity in death?

    my head is so full of songs today, i remembered "give a little respect" by wheatus - it was used repeatedly in one episode of scrubs. theme maybe a little different.

    Homer Van Doh

    ReplyDelete