Sunday, June 24, 2007

Learning


There is more to learn than what I can manage in a lifetime.

It was very disappointing when I learned that fact. I wanted to know everything. I strive for knowledge in the most hungry of ways but yet I realized that the intricate nature of the universe prevented complete satisfaction in this regard.

However, many people won't agree with me.

Most people measure their lives in time. This is the least imaginative way to measure life. From this prospective, you are sure you live just as many years as you have during your lifetime. No reason to be disappointed.

Others use a slightly more imaginative and creative way to measure life, through achievements. These may be disappointed or may not. It comes down to the amount of achievements they are striving for. Satisfaction will depend on whether they are able to achieve everything they hoped for in their lifetime or not.

A few others choose to measure their lives by what they learn in it. The hunger for more knowledge, for more understanding of everything, is what drives them forward. It is here that people will always be disappointed. No lifetime will ever be sufficient to take everything in. It is in this group that I reside. I try to assimilate every learnable thing in the world. I don't care much for education - it's learning for life that truly interests me.

Whatever group you fall into, not one group is better than the others. It's just different needs and different shades of gray of essentially the same thing - the search for something substantial. This is the one need that every human being on Earth is pursuing, it's just that the needs can differ amongst us. In this light, there are probably an endless number of other groups that people fall into.


What group do you think you fall into?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I could fall into two groups, the achievement group and the learning one.

    Its good to have this learning hunger but at the same time sometimes you should have to put your learning into practice and make something tangible out of it.

    I would also consider myself as a person who falls in the group of making people happy group, I would really be more than happy if I left this world and I made difference even with only one person, sometimes I feel like I have insight to tell people what they really need to be happy in their lives and also give them a helping hand to pursuit their desired happiness.

    I guess it is just the typical Utopian me ;)

    -Silly Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't fall into a group, i fall right into the universe :)

    Eternity cannot be measured :)

    I guess many people limit life :)

    ReplyDelete