Friday, June 15, 2007

In the bathroom

Let me tell you an everyday story.

I was sitting in the bathroom doing bathroomy things. The bathroom, in my opinion, is a perfect place to speculate by the way :)

Now, sitting in the bathroom I saw something amazing. I saw a cockroach crawl out of the drain in the floor.

Now, like the next person, I hate cockroaches. And also like the next person in line, I don't know why I hate them, it's just an inherent feeling passed down from one generation to the other. Coupled with years and years of conditioning, I just hate the cockroach for unexplained reasons.

Sitting there I looked at the cockroach with hate. I didn't want it in my bathroom. I didn't like the fact we were sharing the bathroom. So I decided to get rid of it. I didn't want to get up and kill it. As much as I hate cockroaches somewhere along the line I decided to refrain as much as possible from killing living creatures, including insects.

Quick thinking on my side (that's me!) and I decided on the best line of action. I grabbed the detachable shower (thank God for detachable showers) and turned it on in the direction of the cockroach. Now at this stage some might wonder what the hell I'm doing. Well it's simple. My plan was to use the water to wash the cockroach down the drain again. Skillfully, I used the water to direct the sliding direction of the cockroach back to the drain. in less than a minute it was back in the drain. I smiled. Mission accomplished with no shedding of blood.

A minute later, the cockroach worked it's way out again. Persistent isn't it? I repeated the same line of defense, washing it back into the drain.

This was repeated 5 times exactly. Everytime it would work its way out of the drain, I'd wash it back in with the water. Then after much struggling, it would come out again.

It was at this point when I decided a change of action. Lets zoom all the way into the mind of the cockroach. I decided to see things its way. I decided to become the cockroach.

"Coming out of the drain, I hit heaven. Life is so disgusting down there. I hate it. But this place is amazing. It's so huge and the ceiling is so high. There are many places for me to crawl to. It's clean and it smells so good. Finally I find a place like this! I have worked so hard climbing out of the slums for this place."

Now zoom back out, and you have me hit the cockroach with water to push it back down the drain.

"Oh where is all that water coming from?! I can't hold on...it's taking me back to the drain but I don't want to go back there...I worked so hard to be here and I'm not going to be denied that! I want a better life that's all."

Mission accomplished. Cockroach down the drain. But it decides to crawl back up again.

"I want a better life. I will not give up. Even if I'm pushed back to where I started I will just gather my strength and go in stronger again. I have seen a better life - I can't settle for the sewers anymore. I know there's better out there. I must try again even if it kills me."

As it crawled out one more time, I understood.

The cockroach wanted just what I wanted. A better life. It hurt to be denied that. Just like it hurt me to be denied that.

At that point I decided I'm not going to kill the cockroach. Others might not appreciate the fact but I can't do it anymore. I can't deny others what I yearn for.

I got up and left the bathroom.

I learned from the cockroach what many people will never understand.

14 comments:

  1. Well, lets see..
    You are not a cockroach, so we can't settle for this unique point of view. The cockroach could have millions of other thoughts in its mind other than " a better life". I rather think this is a bit skeptical. For all we know the cockroach might have been out in search of food, people's food, which from the people's point of view " violation of rights, and acquiring by several means what is not yours. Is that what you want to learn from a cockroach? If so, this is one thing you learn from a cockroach, that is understood by most people, and they are even experts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really a very nice post :D

    It is morning where I am and this really made my day :)


    For what it's worth, there is an offbeat movie titled:

    "Joe's apartment"

    Bout a guy that befriends the cocroaches in his apartment, and how they help him :)

    It's really different :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @taqdeer:

    yea I know the movie. I love it actually! One of those movies that will always have a cult following :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning from God's creatures, great and small, is a beautiful ability. It is true humbleness.

    But I just can't move past one point:

    You STILL have a cockroach in your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathe, i was TAG'd..

    So.. to pass on a TAG, you are now TAG'd
    to reveal 8 things about yourself people didn't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started reading this entry of yours I started singing "Funky towel" from Joe's apartment movie.

    Considering the fact that you used to have a white mouse "Yuk" in your house then why didn’t you bring the poor cockroach food and blanket and tell him make your self at home?

    Yuk Yuk Yuk.

    - Silly Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous

    Even if the cockroach was out looking for food, then it was out searching for something better.

    One violation is a right to another. That is sadly a fact.

    It is like someone who dreams of moving to another country for a better life. Like the cockroach is searching for better food, that person is also searching for something better.

    The other country would not be welcoming of this new immigrant, like I wasn't welcoming of the visiting cockroach. The immigrant would have to work very hard and try many times to carve a place for himself in this new society, again, same as the cockroach.

    So the truth is, there is alot in common with your example as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like this one especially the part when you think like the cockroach,
    i believe that if you put yourself in the others situation your whole point of view will change and that will help of better understanding for the others actions and respect it even if it was against your own benefits.
    i also believe that every creature in the earth deserve the life he dreamed of even if it was cockroach as it tried hard to get what he want so it surely deserves it,
    btw,i use your way in killing cockroach by water back to the drain an it woks great with me ;) it never show up again i think my cockroaches was a give-ups type,so they did not deserve the better life that was waiting for them (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the lateral,philanthropic thinking.still hate cockroaches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, if we could only apply this sort of thinking in our lives with other human beings! Wouldn't the world be a better place? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey breathe,

    What a beautiful story!

    I am already looking forward to doing your review on Blog Review Blog!

    good luck writing,
    your review will be ready in a couple of days.

    Greetings,

    TimToTango

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola Breathe,

    Your Free BlogReviewBlog review about your blog is ready :-)

    I must say that I had a good time reading your stories. I hope you can do someting with the feedback.

    Did you already place a backlink to Blog Review Blog? I din't find it on your page.

    Good luck writing,

    TimToTango

    P.S. Your google search thingy doesn't seem to work

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe myself...
    I'm shocked ... Disturbed... Just like you did with my spider...
    A stupid dirty spider was on the wall behind my desk, and when I asked for your help to kill it... you simply let it go:(((
    My God You freed the cockroach just as you freed the spider... Oh, Do you think you're freeing Nelson Mandela or what?!
    Your insects are not heros Mohammad, They're dirty little bugs that brings us dirt and sickness from everplace they go to...
    Long Live Mohammad (The Insects Freedom Supporter)... and long live you insects... with you... ONLY YOUUUUUUUUUU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire your courage that made you mention your thoughts about the bathroom this clear... A fact that I share with you actually!

    But I don't feel free telling people about it! Except of a few close friends. haha!

    Funny to know that I'm not alone in this! :D

    ReplyDelete