Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Clouds


When I was very young, I thought that clouds were cotton candy.

That was a lot of cotton candy, enough to satisfy every single hyperactive kid in the world. No one was eating it though which meant that I could have quite a lot of it! I used to devise all manners of ingenious ways of reaching the clouds.

Later on as I grew up, I was taught that clouds are just water vapor. That came as a huge disappointment to me. It made more sense that they were made of cotton candy. They look more like cotton candy than water vapor to me. They were more exciting as cotton candy than water vapor to me.

Every time I’m on a plane, and as we pass above the clouds, I look down and I think how much the clouds still look like cotton candy. Then I remember what I was taught in school and I’m all disappointed again.

As I was on a plane going to South Africa, I looked at the clouds and I thought they don’t look like cotton candy today. The clouds were really dense together. They looked more like powdered sugar that went humid. You know how it starts forming irregular patches? That is exactly what it looked like to me.

Then I realized it was water vapor. What a let down!

Why is it that no matter how much time passes by, the first thing that comes to mind when I look at clouds is just not water vapor. The extremely scientific background I have should actually make it easier for me to see the water vapor rather than cotton candy.

I guess some things from our childhood never die away no matter what. But I also wonder, do I even want to lose those childhood ‘fantasies’? If I look at the clouds and see water vapor, then they would be so boring.

I always look at the clouds. I actually love seeing the clouds and their shapes. I know that there are people who don’t even notice the clouds. Maybe, because the clouds became so mundane when they accepted their nature, those people just lost interest in them.

I can’t imagine losing interest in the clouds!

I could list all the things that still stick to me from my childhood, but I’m afraid I would sound ridiculous :)


What childhood beliefs have stuck along into your adult lives? Lets see how ridiculous it can get! :)

7 comments:

  1. Nice post, Breathe,

    Hmm, what childhood beliefs have stuck along into my mind?

    Well, I used to think that if I looked hard to the sun, I would have incredible sight and get rid of these eyeglasses I put on ;)

    It has become a habit I can't get rid of, so whenever I go out in day light I try so hard not to look up at the sky;)

    - Silly Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice,really Nice, it took me to another World,the childhood one,your question,alas i can't answer it because i hardly remember anything of my childhood !! but i can see that beauty which you talked about in my little brothers description for how they see things !!
    thanks for this nice post ^_^
    waiting for your new..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's silly. Clouds aren't sweets! Everybody knows they are the fluffy ground that carries castles that giants live in. When one of those clumsy giants slips and falls it hurts and makes a really loud noise with a spark of lightning and then they cry. Their tears are soooo huge they make our trees grow and our rivers flow.

    Next you'll start making up stories about the sun going round the world and not really taking a bath in the sea at the end of the day. How else does the water warm up at the end of the day then?

    Or you'll tell me that my things don't really understand when I speak to them and don't talk back. Or that if I talk into a rose, people on the other side of the world don't hear me, or that on a warm clear night when I'm sleeping under the stars I haven't touched the moon or seen angels surfing on the milky way.

    no, no, no, that won't do at all. Someone has been telling you lies. You're a big boy, don't believe everything you're told ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post:)
    It's been a long time since I last saw ur blog or give a comment, and I know that's my fault of course, not to mention anything later!

    Okay, I've always seen clouds as ice... large spaces of ice and snow and you can freely walk on them!!!
    And I couldn't figure a way of how people can walk on them, or who are those people in the end?!

    It's very strange actually when you see the clouds down under you from a plane... yet It's also exciting if you think that your cotton candies can rain water!!!
    It's amazing:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get this song..

    Both Sides, Now

    by Joni Mitchell

    ----------

    Rows and flows of angel hair
    And ice cream castles in the air
    And feather canyons everywhere
    I've looked at clouds that way

    But now they only block the sun
    They rain and snow on everyone
    So many things I would have done
    But clouds got in my way
    I've looked at clouds from both sides now

    From up and down, and still somehow
    It's cloud illusions I recall
    I really don't know clouds at all

    Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
    The dizzy dancing way you feel
    As ev'ry fairy tale comes real
    I've looked at love that way

    But now it's just another show
    You leave 'em laughing when you go
    And if you care, don't let them know
    Don't give yourself away

    I've looked at love from both sides now
    From give and take, and still somehow
    It's love's illusions I recall
    I really don't know love at all

    Tears and fears and feeling proud
    To say "I love you" right out loud
    Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
    I've looked at life that way

    But now old friends are acting strange
    They shake their heads, they say I've changed
    Well something's lost, but something's gained
    In living every day

    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From win and lose and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down, and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow hv doh!

    I didn't know that song. Grabbed it and I must say you really made my day!

    This is one incredible song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cute :) A touching post, as usual.

    I need to give it a long hard think though to realise what it is that I still see with my childhood eyes. I'll let you know when i find something!

    ReplyDelete