Tuesday, October 2, 2007

And that was the sea

It was morning and the sun shone with a vengeance down on me. But that didn't deter me from going out. I put on my sneakers, favorite t-shirt and went out walking.

Lost in my thought, a distinct smell crept up my nose. It was the sea. For a person who does not live in a seaside city or town, I love the sea too much. My feet took me there, for there was no other place I was meant to be.

As the fine sand of the beach found its way into my sneakers, I could hear children laugh. They were running around the beach, a couple throwing a ball, while another was building castles in the sand. Many were wading in the sea, splashing water on each other, dodging waves and giggling as the water hit their faces.

It was happiness and good times. It was fun in the sun.

And that was the sea.

Sweating after my walk in the dazzling sun, I took off my clothes and took off my sneakers. I loved the feeling of the sand under my feet as I walked towards the sea. The cold water tickled my toes as the waves broke on the beach and in a minute, I was neck deep in the sea. The water was crystal clear and I could see schools of fish jotting around.

Invigorating. Rejuvenating. It was like being reborn.

And that was the sea.

Then the beach faded. And the shoreline disappeared. I was on a ship. The ship sailed gracefully through the calm waters. All around me were people with mixed emotions. The ship was loaded with dreams and fears. Loaded with hopes and broken hearts. But most importantly, it was far from the shoreline. It was in the middle of the sea. All there was now was the sea. It was the source of all the mixed emotions. It was home to the dreams of a wonderful life for the newly-wed, but it was also home to the broken heart of the lady leaving her family behind.

And that was the sea.

Then a storm stole over us. Suddenly, the clear blue sky was gone, and so was the tranquil slow rocking of the ship as it gleefully cut through the sea. The storm raged, and the sea was angry. Senseless anger, the kind that swallows everything up. Suddenly all emotions disappeared. There was only the anger - and the fear it spurns in the hearts of people.

The sea raged in anger. It was senseless, it was unequivocal. What did the storm do to anger the sea so badly? There was no logic in the anger. It was just an intense flood of emotion that wrapped itself around everyone, and put everyone at risk. No one was safe of the sea's fury. The ship tossed and turned like a leaf in the autumn winds. Salty water splashed my face and burned my eyes and nostrils. Even the creatures living in the sea, those that love the sea, were hurt by the anger. It was gloomy under the darkened sky and the sea was dark and murky. For everyone who tasted the sea's temper, there was fear of perishing in it.

And that was the sea.

Then the storm passed, and as quickly as it came, the anger faded away. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. The sea was full of love for all living things again. It became extra calm to make up for the storm. It took care to spur gentle winds to help the ship reach its aim. The dark, foreboding waters gave way to clear turquoise waters again. The dolphins and fish jumped happily as they were treated to extra food by the sea. Suddenly the ship was close to shore again and the sea was dotted with fishermen boats. The fishermen pulled in nets full of fish. The extra calm meant extra fish. Extra fish meant extra money.

The sea was giving. The sea was kind.

And that was the sea.

And I stood on the shore and looked out at the sea. It was a million things at the same time. And it reminded me of someone.

The sea was special. The sea was me.

4 comments:

  1. Nice, dreamlike, and far-reaching post. I thought the sea was life itself, but the last sentence proved otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea like humans it has feelings so some times sea looks calm and other looks anger. It has a harmful anger but what a wonderful calm ... and has very deep wonderful meanings in his heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea,i know this crazy spirit of the sea,it is what makes it so unique,so mysterious ,it is what makes people attracted to it ,they always keep trying to know what is going on but once they think they know,it changes and gave them another face they cannot recognize then they try again and they keep trying but they never know its secrets.
    and as long as i know you everyday prove that you are the sea,you have its mysterious spirit,
    sometimes you are so kind and others crazy,traveling all the time,sometimes confused,sometimes angry.and others full of charm ;)
    that is you ,that is the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the sea within you always nurture..

    ReplyDelete